Sunday, January 23, 2022

Getting Happily Lost

After a few foggy days when the hills around Siena with their cypresses and ancient villages rose like splendid islands in a dream landscape of clouds, the sun has once more  been shining and I have been out walking. 
Yesterday I walked 17 kilometres- something of a record, although it was not meant to be quite like that...I wanted to get to a riding stable, to catch up with my equestrian self, which is quite important and which I have neglected. 
There is this stable, according to Google, which I would be able to reach after one and a half hours walk in a south westerly direction.  I accepted Googles proposal and set out happily, leaving the city through the Fontebranda Gate at 10.55. 
I was supposed to walk for about half an hour before turning right. What Google did not explain was that this led me down a fast moving road where I had to squeeze myself flat against the walls of the buildings at the passing of the vehicles which moved at breakneck speed before having to  cross a spaghetti junction involving a motorway, where there was absolutely no provision for walkers... Siena is an ancient city where nothing changes, where everyone walks and everything moves at a leisurely pace. But just put your toe outside the ancient confines of its city walls and all that is but a faint, quaint memory!

( Illustration only, )

However, once I had crossed this fearful obstacle with my life intact- and some tears in my clothes and skin from brambles as I attempted to forge a path on the wrong side of the road barrier, so as not to be squashed by oncoming traffic, I decided to give up on the stable for this time and just chose the first road that looked like a peaceful option. Thankfully it was. It took me through the sort of Tuscan countryside I had been expecting, and the sun was still shining- in the distance I could see Siena:

I had been hoping for a little auberge to appear on the way- somewhere for a peaceful lunch. In fact this place did appear, and I realize now I should have stopped - in a place called Montalbuccio, there is an eponymous restaurant with very good reviews: I will go next time!
                 After about four hours I scaled the long hill that led to the Porta St Marco: 
after which I was was quite happy to hobble my way to the Piazza del Campo for what I felt was a well-deserved late lunch!

 

6 comments:

  1. Yes you are in a lovely bubble in siena. Is there a good bus service to florence? Have you visited Harold acton' former house or read about or visited Lord lampoon's House where you can stay at price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there good bus services from sienna?

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuMH8kilU4wORFqvfSIpCJs3pZO0eVGY/view?usp=drivesdk

    Is this the restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Liam,
    Thanks for looking in! I can't open the file, alas, but this is the restaurant: https://www.ristorantemontalbuccio.it/it/dove-siamo-ristorante-pizzeria-siena.htm
    Might try it on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there are plenty of bus - and train- services between Siena and Florence. I have not yet visited Harold Acton's Villa La Pietra in Florence which looks splendid. So many things to discover in Tuscany...

    ReplyDelete

Bats in the Belfry?

Or rather: Pigeons in Loft, as it turns out... A dreadful racket from above has been disturbing my afternoons recently. Fearful that it may ...