Monday, June 13, 2022

Movement

The most important thing to happen in the last two weeks is undoubtedly the arrival of that all-important document S1 to my letterbox in Siena, which was communicated to me this evening, about an hour ago, on WhatsApp by Paolo who had gone to my apartment in Siena to check... and there it was! Hurrah! After one month, it arrived finally to its destination...which means that I can now become a resident in Siena; we can start the work on the flat; I will be able to register for |Italian health care; I can go to all those museums in Siena for free when my friends come to see me etc etc...

but before this happy event, there were other reasons to be cheerful, such as the arrival of my lovely god daughter Aoife, (here enjoying a deep fried baby squid at my favourite seaside restaurant in Castiglione della Pescaia last week) and her boyfriend Kai, who kept me company for a few days in Siena. 

Last Thursday I left for France with a coach. Cheap transport, and quite tiring of course. But it has its plus side- It is wonderful to travel through the Alps and to see the world change and feel the distance... arriving at Lyon, I was once again happy to stay with my lovely friends Monique and Pascal. This time we explored 'La Colline qui Prie'- that is to say the oldest part of the city, which includes the cathedral, a comparatively plain edifice if  set against some of the more elaborate cathedrals of the North. But  what a city- I love it! And the food... Ah! here below is Pascal, always a most erudite and enthusiastic guide.

Another long night's bus journey brought me to Amsterdam to see my dear friend Birgit, who was such an integral part of my life in Mali. She works at the Nordenmarkt, selling all her lovely West African stuff at the market on Saturdays and Mondays. 
She took the day off yesterday and we went to the Dutch sea side, which is quite a different experience from my newly acquired Tuscan sea side habits...for a start, the sea is much colder of course, and there are no rows of umbrellas on the beach... the feeling is quite 'Northern'...

And Amsterdam,,, what a lovely city! had almost forgotten. But quite terrifying of course with those  great hoards of cyclist that threaten to mow one down around every corner if one is not careful...


                                                              And tomorrow off to Dublin!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bats in the Belfry?

Or rather: Pigeons in Loft, as it turns out... A dreadful racket from above has been disturbing my afternoons recently. Fearful that it may ...