Sunday, July 10, 2022

The caress of the streets of Siena

There is no doubt that to start a new life in a new city where one knows no one is harder when one gets older. In addition, people have told me that particularly Siena would be a difficult nut to crack- the people here are known to be more reserved than perhaps any other Italian city. I think that is true. Now, when I have finished my school which took up half the days and put me in contact with interesting people from all over the world; and before the work on the flat has started; I find myself in a sort of limbo, where I spend most of my time alone. 
I have started to draw again, after many years. Like the proverbial English lady in Tuscany I set out in the morning with my hat; my folding stool and my sketchbook. then I find an exciting corner with lovely shapes- and that is the thing that fascinates me about this place: the shapes of the streets which create sweeping, sculptural gestures; as if they had been put there by  the brushstrokes of a giant artist, as the narrow  streets curl boldly around the three hills of Siena.

These grand  brush strokes also make for a lovely play of light as the sun hits the facades in unexpected ways, creating abstracts shapes that really need to be painted rather than drawn. So therefore, watch out- ecco the imminent arrival  of the ultimate version  of that English Lady in Tuscany: the one with the easel...
These are simple sketches of course without any pretence of being anything but a conventional record of this my adopted city  for my pleasure...
But the thing that keeps me interested is those bold  curves which feel like a tender caress, everywhere in this lovely place.
                                                   

And here, above,  is that little street called Via del Sambuco, where, in a few days, there will be a long 'shoot' placed from  the top left hand window, through which all the rubble of the building work will be thrown, because it is my flat where work is to start tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bats in the Belfry?

Or rather: Pigeons in Loft, as it turns out... A dreadful racket from above has been disturbing my afternoons recently. Fearful that it may ...