Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Difficult times..

In Sweden... where I went to install my mother into a care home- a decision  that had been arrived at by my brothers, myself  and my step father Gillis's children. She is 91, he is 96 now, and had been taking care of her, but it had become obvious to all that she was in need of more intensive care and that he was also becoming in need of some attention. But how sad and how humiliating to have to step in and take over, against the wishes of this old couple...

I was of course seen as the evil one, trying to split them up.  It is not a memory I will cherish. My mother does not recognize me. When I left finally, having moved her into her new abode, she was quite happy, having made new friends amongst the other 'inmates' living at the home, and feeling she had met many new and interesting people... Gillis was in a mood of acceptance, and the farewell was peaceful. the idea is that they will move in to an  assisted flat together once one has been found...


I went through the beautiful Swedish winter landscape by train to Stockholm where I met up with my dear friend Eva, who was such a great feature of my life in Mali during my last five years there, as she was the Swedish Ambassador. A great gourmet and a gourmand, she did not disappoint, but provided, as she is wont, a great dinner for me on my arrival. 

And back in Siena things are now finally moving... today my VASCA arrived. Noone in Italy has baths anymore. Everyone has thrown them out in favour of slick and fashionable shower units. But I have to have my bath... where I will lie looking at the Torre del Mangia..

and the rest is finally taking shape.. The ceiling will remain unpainted, just like this:


and this is the space where the dining room table will go, and behind the white wall the kitchen...

A presto! 

1 comment:

  1. Waoooh… it looks like a place where one could live in!!! Monique & Pascal

    ReplyDelete

Bats in the Belfry?

Or rather: Pigeons in Loft, as it turns out... A dreadful racket from above has been disturbing my afternoons recently. Fearful that it may ...