Sunday, July 7, 2024

A Victory, A Wedding and a Funeral...

 



Yes! One of the most spectacular events of the last few days was of course the Victory of ONDA at the July Palio... but I was 10000m over the earth when this was happening, on my way to Stockholm...the Palio finally took place after two postponements on the 2nd and 3rd, when the skies decided to open just at 7pm when the horses were arriving in the Piazza ready to race...I will now be able to partake at least in some of the celebrations which take place for WEEKS after a win... more about this later!



But even long before that, much has happened at Casato di Sopra, and  I have not had a moment to write... I have finished the wall piece above, using the scaffolding metal pieces recycled from two pieces I made in London for my last exhibition at the twelve Star Gallery: now they  have turned into one piece, somewhat pretentiously called 'The Trees of Life'. 


And a lot of guests and many happy times: here below with Robert, my Swedish friend and frequent guest taking a selfie with the marvellous Siddharth from New Delhi, who came for two nights, but stayed for a week, because when he found out I missed Indian food, he started cooking.

 He maintained a constant telephone conversation with  New Delhi and his big brother and his sister-in- law, who gave him  lenghty and detailed cooking instructions. I acted as a washer-upper while he used every pot, pan and plate available in the repertory of the kitchen cupboards. He also found me, very usefully, an Asian supermarket, and bought me every spice -Masala- I could possibly need for any future Indian meals I will attempt on my own. And the results, which stretched over two nights, were totally delicious. 



That afore-mentioned flight took me to Sweden for the marriage of my God daughter Ida, and her lovely Senai, who had laid on a lavish wedding with a hundred guests at a beautiful restaurant by the water in Stockholm: an interesting a crowd of invitees- Senai's Eritrean family included the older generation which had first emigrated to Sweden in the late seventies after the fall of Haile Selassie and the subsequent troubles in the area, and the younger generation who, like Senai, are born in Sweden where many have found successful careers in their new homeland.  Ida and Senai are now winging their way to Bali for a long honey moon.

                                            

I am now in Torekov in southern Sweden, my childhood paradise, where I am spending a few days with all my cousins (all those engineers...)

And the last chapter of this Sweden trip will be my return north again, to be present at my mother's funeral on the 11th. An ending in a Minor key to a happy trip- but something we had expected for a long time. She had really already left us in spirit some time ago and we had said farewell  last summer in a rare lucid moment when she recognized me ...  my mother was a very talented artist, I have a lots to thank her for. May she rest in peace,

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to the ONDA! On attend bien sûr avec impatience la narration prochaine des festivités! Et on t'envie d'avoir trouvé, d'avoir vu naitre plutôt apparemment, un chef indien. Et maintenant que tu as les ingrédients et les recettes "first hand", on espère pouvoir en profiter un jour! On connait déjà tes talents pour la "Christmas turkey"... on est confiant pour le "indian curry chicken"!
    Quand au départ de ta maman, c'est bien que tu aies pu lui dire au revoir l'été passé. Ainsi va la vie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Le message précédent n'est pas anonyme du tout: Pascal et Monique t'embrassent affectueusement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le message précédent ne se voulait pas être anonyme: Monique et Pascal t'embrassent affectueusement

    ReplyDelete
  4. chers amis,
    Merci devotre fidelite! tres contete de vous voir jeter un coup d'oeil ici de temps en temps, apres toutes ces annees! J'epere aussi vous voyer ici bientot pour gouter mon tentative dans le cuisine Indien!

    ReplyDelete

ONDEPENDENCE DAY

It has been a long time... I have been very busy, mainly in fun and frivolity. To win the Palio unleashes  several months of festivities, cu...