When September comes along, it is always accompanied with some regret. The summer is too short... September brings some comforts of course, to alleviate this melancholia: there are the fresh figs, and other fruity delights, and around the 9th of September this year the extreme heat we had experienced all summer gave way to a more livable warmth, still with clear blue skies.
This September also brought much comfort in the fact that I met dear David and Jeremiah inVerona in the first days of the month, where we spent two spectacular evenings at the Arena: Turandot one evening and Aida the next. This time in Verona I was lucky to sit in a good seat, courtesy of the management, since David had been invited in order to write reviews. And here they are: https://www.theartsdesk.com/opera/theartsdesk-103rd-arena-di-verona-opera-festival-zeffirelli-spectaculars-still-dazzle-and-move
Indeed it dazzled...
And that was not all that dazzled in September: I went to London for just four days and stayed with Les and Patty in their accustomed Ladbroke Grove abode, and somehow I managed to meet up with just about all my London friends, in what became a jolly merry-go-round of dinners in fun places such as the Chelsea Arts Club, the Garrick Club and a marvellous Taiwanese Dumpling restaurant in Covent Garden, which name now escapes me...
But what irks me is that I cannot present a Guest of The Month of September... there was one, a lovely person whose name began with a D, but I would not want to talk too much about him, because our conversations were quite personal and I have no wish to broadcast them. Suffice to say that to have a little guesthouse, even on this tiny size, brings so many lovely people my way, and always makes me grateful that we are all so different and unique...
No comments:
Post a Comment